Sunday 22 March 2020

When I am overwhelmed

When I am overwhelmed 
and incapacitated by fear
I focus on all that is good, 
all that is safe, 
all that is true right now.
I see the beauty of nature 
surrounding me,
as Spring unfurls.
Whether I am outside or trapped indoors,
I think of the trees.
They stand glowing
As buds burst into new life.
A promise of blossom
then an abundance of fruit to come.
They tell me, they are not afraid.
Spring is coming in.
Nothing can stop the slow, steady progress
Of their growth toward the light.
When I feel fear staring me in the face
Blocking my senses
Tearing at my mind
Whispering unhelpful possibilities,
I look up and out upon the stars.
I tell myself
that they are not afraid
of falling from the sky.
Their light still shines
From a billion light years away
To reach me in the gathering gloom.
When I feel fear grasping at my heart
I look to you 
and see you
Standing before me,
Arms open wide
Loving me
Caring for me,
Affirming me
Helping me stay strong.
Against all fear
We stand together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do leave a comment if you find these writings and prayers helpful. Thank you.

God in the world

  Whilst God is in the World, His living presence here with us, there must always be hope for all the Earth; hope of healing, hope of light,...