Thursday 9 April 2020

Holy Thursday - Poem about the cross - a personal experience

The Bleakest Place is the Cross, yet it is also the point of Hope and Mercy; 
Hope for living
Hope of dying
Hope of Life in Christ.

Mercy in living
Mercy in dying
Mercy from Christ Himself.

Here, suffering is intense, immense, unimaginable, horrific, unbearable, tortuous.

Life feels beyond possible when you meet this place. Pain, so exquisite in intensity that it is unbelievable that you can be alive to bear it.

And so I hang in the Bleakest Place
In the darkness of unutterable agony
In indescribable torment
Waiting
For it to pass
Praying for it to end
Not knowing if this is death
Coming upon me.
I lie in absolute awareness
Of myself
Pure being
Life
In a body
So agonised
It feels like the end.
And yet
Somewhere
Miraculously
Mysteriously
The end does not come.
I repeat
I trust in you Lord
I trust in you.
I call out to God
Am I dying?
He says in a small still voice
It is not your time 
And so I cling on
To a purity
Of essence
Large and vast
In the centre
Of fear.
The pain is so loud
It drowns out
All other thought.
I am racked by the pain.
It burns me
Yet somehow
Through the centre
I am held
By God
By Love
By Hope
By Truth
By Mercy.
My time is not yet come.
I still have a purpose
And life
Remains
And Peace
Conquers
And I arise
Like the Phoenix
Transcendent
And glorious
In splendour
Of knowing
The Light of God
Within me.
The voice of God
Has spoken.
I have more 
To give
In service.
This gift is precious
And unquantifiable
I still live
Here.
I am washed clean
By a baptism of pain
Beyond description
Only peace remains.

I know the cross.
It is true.
I lie with Christ
Upon the cross
And I am consumed
By pain
And agony beyond 
Telling.
Yet somehow
Miraculously
I am touched
By God Himself
And find
Fear
Harm
Anger
Loss
All
Is
Burnt
Away
In 
The
Agony
Of 
The cross
Till
All that
Remains
Is good.
And life 
Is utterly
Totally
Present
Pure 
Awareness
Pure being
Pure presence.
Life 
Is 
Revealed
In it’s
Truest
Form 
And only
Who I am
Remains.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do leave a comment if you find these writings and prayers helpful. Thank you.

We humbly ask

Lord, we humbly ask that you be with us now Lord, help us feel you near, Lord, comfort us in our confusion, Lord, show us Your way Lord, be ...