Friday 16 February 2024

To keep going.



 TO KEEP GOING

As I write, at the breakfast table, Dvorak’s “Largo”, the second movement from the “New World Symphony” softly plays, evoking memories of us two, up on the altar signing our wedding certificate.
On our wedding day, the music filled the Church, could there be a more triumphant marking of that moment?
I first heard it in an old country house in County Cork, Ireland. On that day, in the late 70’s, my mind was blown. Like no other, that piece touches my soul.
I resolve this morning to write a symphony based on our garden, where we have sat for years and years on a bench. I have so much music waiting to be expressed, notes tumbling round my mind.
It’s crazy dreams like this that keep me going!
I sat out there yesterday afternoon by myself, watching tiny blue birds flittering about on a beautiful day. Linda in bed, too ill to move, in an agony beyond description. Later, she told me they must have been Blue Tits.
Our old wooden planter had collapsed in a mess. I was pleased that I had just managed to salvage its rotten timbers and restore it to what looks to me, anyway, like an exciting prospect for growing vegetables. Quite an achievement, given my lack of DIY skills. I had a look at it this morning, it is still standing and I am proud of myself. I look forward to showing it off to Linda. I will take a photograph of it for her to see.
Little achievements like this are so important. They give me a sense of purpose, of taking back control after being so unwell-last year, of confidence in myself. They, along with all my mad dreams and schemes, get me through.
That and looking up at the birds.
Always look up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do leave a comment if you find these writings and prayers helpful. Thank you.

Poem for a much loved dog

I  know you still miss me. Remember, You can talk to my bones If you should pass them by For they hold sacred memories of our time together....