Wednesday 3 October 2018

Resurrection and Suffering

What does Easter-time mean when the one you love faces yet another day of screamingly awful, unimaginable physical torment ?
What, exactly, is there to celebrate, all the time she hangs, nailed, in agony, to a cross of gross medical, social and political neglect and denial, lies, manipulation and deceit, spanning decades ?
What does resurrection mean, in this place of no prayer, of no thought, of naked,  by the moments in between pain and hours by the restless shifting into ever more extreme levels of suffering ?stripped to the bone, nerve-throbbing-being, where minutes are measured
You might think I am crazy. But on my bike yesterday, Easter day, battling through a strong, cold headwind, I fancied I heard a patch of bright yellow dandelions, singing their hearts out ! Then a pair of black and white gulls, I am no bird expert, darted right across me, I felt their joy.
Another bird soared up high where the clouds hung ragged and broken. A song was born in me.
What was it Jesus said  on Palm Sunday : “Even the stones will ring out !!”
It is not written yet, but I have had a go on the dulcimer and I know the chorus is : “The Light has broken through !”
Yes, that is why Easter is so painful for us, yet so full of hope, so critically, so infinitely important.
You learn a great deal about the mystery of the Cross here, that it is so much more than pain; it is the light , the truth, the wisdom and the power of God , shining forth from what is the ultimate healing moment for all mankind.
A friend, who also knows great suffering, phoned yesterday, I am so inspired by his words : “Life is full of small miracles.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do leave a comment if you find these writings and prayers helpful. Thank you.

God in the world

  Whilst God is in the World, His living presence here with us, there must always be hope for all the Earth; hope of healing, hope of light,...